Saturday, September 15, 2007

First Week In Kyoto Pt 2

I was walking home from school one night (a 50 minute affair if going straight) and ended up cutting through the Imperial Palace Gardens. I also ran into the hotel I stayed in when traveling with the Brookline High Japan program. It's only about a 10 minute walk from my apartment.


An interesting building in my neighborhood is on the right. The photo didn't really capture it well.














Funny English is the norm. This is only worth a chuckle, but there are others that make you burst out laughing. I almost did it in class the other day when I realized my tiny notebook had "Campus notebooks contain the best ruled foolscap suitable for writing." Who came up with that word in an otherwise normal sentence.


This is the view of the Kamo River from a small park along the side. The river isn't much of one because it is less than a food deep. The paths on the sides often hide the development as well. Nonetheless, Kyoto and other Japanese cities surprise people with the lack of tall buildings and a real center. This is mostly due to the fact that building tall buildings to withstand big earthquakes gets expensive fast.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: