Saturday, September 15, 2007

First Week in Kyoto Pt. 1

The fog rolls in off the mountains to the east of Kyoto. The photo doesn't do it justice, but I was very surprised to find it on my walk from the bus stop near school in the morning. Classes start at 9:15am for me. You'll also notice the character on the mountain (Dai amongst other readings in Japanese, Da in Chinese). These characters are lit in bonfires on summer nights on the mountains surrounding Kyoto.
My host mom from 3 years ago was worrying whether I was capable of cooking for myself. To assuade her fears I sent her pictures of my first and second meals. This is number two with avocado salad, tofu in a light soy sauce, and a stir fry with beef, baby bok choy, tofu, garlic, and perhaps some onion too.

This is one of the first genuinely run down and abandoned buildings I've ever seen in Japan. Modern Japanese buildings are usually not much to look at architecturally, but this was a first.


Down the street from the run down building was this random shrine. I liked the angle looking back down the street so I took a picture. Of course the picture doesn't do it justice.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: