Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Architecturally boring in modern buildings, but never culturally

If you`ve seen pictures of my apartment building then you`ve seen about what most post 1970s apartment buildings look like in Japanese cities. They`re pretty drab and not very interesting. Nonetheless, Kyoto does have a few modern buildings worth looking at.
 
Surprisingly, the Kyoto City hall is one of them. I was walking home after going to karaoke one afternoon and shot this picture from the crosswalk at Oike Boulevard.

Checking out the side of the City hall is also pretty interesting too. It certainly beats the ugly as sin Boston City Hall.
 






















I also went out with Mrs. Kanari and her English speaking group. Mrs. Kanari and I are here in a cafe (excellent but expensive coffee floats).
 
We ended up going to see one of my peers perform at a venue not too far from my apartment, came back to my apartment so we could exchange Omiyage(also to assure them my living situation was fine), and went out to the Hankyu Department store's Tabehodai (as much as you can eat) Chinese restaurant.
 
My economics professor swears by it as the best deal in town. One can also get nomihodai (as much as you can drink) added on to the tab if you wish. The food ranged from the General Gau's chicken level to some excellent dim sum, but we all found things we liked to eat.
 

No comments: